Identification & Functionality
- Chemical Family
- Product Type
- Product Families
- Product Image
Features & Benefits
- Ready-to-Use Product Features
- Key Attributes
Features Benefits High viscosity formula
Provides uniform coverage, no running or puddling
Unique polymeric formulation
Dual function primer
Holds seam in fold-back position while priming
Applications & Uses
- Application Area
- Compatible Substrates & Surfaces
- Basic Use
Millennium EPDM High-Tack Primer is used to prime EPDM roofing membrane to provide improved adhesion to the Millennium family of EPDM tapes, laminates, and sealants. Millennium EPDM High-Tack Primer is an excellent choice for priming concrete, OSB, plywood, and metal surfaces.
In addition to seam priming, Millennium EPDM High-Tack Primer is used to hold EPDM membrane in a folded back position while seam priming is completed.
- Surface Preparation
All work surfaces should be clean, dry, free of dirt, dust, debris, oils, un-adhered coatings, deteriorated membrane and othercontaminants that may result in a surface that is not sound or is uneven. If necessary, clean the surface with an approved EPDM membrane cleaner prior to application of Millennium EPDM High-Tack Primer.
- Do not use as a membrane cleaner.
- Talc, dust, oil, ice, snow, or wet conditions inhibit good adhesion.Clean and dry surfaces are a necessity.
- Not for use on PVC or TPO roof membranes.
- Do not use on extruded or expanded polystirene insulation.
- At Installation temperatures below 40°F (4°C) care must be taken to prevent the formation of condensation on surface of primer.
- Not for use in VOC regulated markets.
- Once opened, primer should be used completely. Storage life is limited after opening.
- Application Method
1. Thoroughly shake or stir Millennium EPDM High-Tack Primer prior to use and re-stir every 15-20 minutes during use.
2. Do not dilute Millennium EPDM High-Tack Primer.
3. Surfaces should be dry and clean before applying Millennium EPDM High-Tack Primer. If necessary, clean the surface with an approved EPDM membrane cleaner prior to application of Millennium EPDM High-Tack Primer. Observe all manufacturers’ safety precautions and use recommendations when using solvents. Do not smoke while working with primer.
4. When the surfaces are dry, apply Millennium EPDM High-Tack Primer with a fully saturated brush or scouring pad. The surface should appear wet during application. Apply primer
to a wider area then the actual bonding area to insure complete coverage. If using a scouring pad, be sure that it is free of excessive dust from EPDM membranes. Replace pads often. Do not overwork primer.
5. Allow primer to dry completely (typically less than 20 minutes) before applying tape/flashing materials. Primer will visually appear shiny and tacky to the touch. Drying conditions will vary depending on ambient air conditions. NOTE: Use caution when installlling at temperatures below 40°F (5°C) to prevent blushing of EPDM primer (formation of condensation on surface of primer).
6. When not in use, keep lid on primer to prevent solvent evaporation. When finished, secure lid and store primer as recommended. Once opened, primer has a limited use life.
7. Once the seam or flashing is installed the primer will take up to 48 hours to wet-out the tape surface and build full strength. Any peel tests on installed seams or flashings should not be conducted until at least 24 hours after installation.
8. For areas where Millennium EPDM High-Tack Primer is used in a tack-back application; apply primer to surface of membrane, allow primer to dry and then fold back membrane to make contact with primed area. Lightly apply pressure to ensure membrane holds in desired position while primer is applied to seam and flashing areas.
- Equipment Clean up
Use Mineral Spirits or VM&P naptha. Observe all manufacturer’s safety precautions and use recommendations when using solvents.
- Typical Physical Properties
The foregoing information is published as general information only. The listed properties and performance characteristics are typical values and are not to be interpreted as manufacturing specifications.
|Test Method / Conditions
Packaging & Availability
- Regional Availability
- Packaging and Coverage
Millennium EPDM High-Tack is available in the following package:
Container Size Containers/Case 1 gallon (3.8L) 4
Coverage rates will be approximately 250 - 400 ft2 per gallon (23.2 - 37 m2 per liter).
Storage & Handling
- Shelf Life
- 12 Months
- Storage Conditions
Store material in original unopened containers at temperatures between 40°F - 90°F (4°C - 32°C). Shelf life is 12 months when stored in unopened container.