Identification & Functionality
- Product Type
- Product Families
- Product Image
Features & Benefits
- Ready-to-Use Product Features
- Product Highlights
Features Benefits Resistant to UV light, high heat and moisture
Excellent adhesion to TPO and metal
Useful for metal edge tie-ins with untreated edging
Adheres to aged TPO
Useful when membrane can no longer be heat welded
Saves time and labor
Suitable for roofing and waterproofing applications
Applications & Uses
- Application Area
- Compatible Substrates & Surfaces
- Recommended Applications
- Cool Cover™ TPO Cover Tape-Safety Yellow is designed to cover, protect, and seal mechanical fastening bars, membrane fasteners, core sample repair patches, membrane repairs, and seam overlays in all TPO roofing systems.
- The Cover Tape is highly useful for metal edge tie-ins where heat-weldable cover strips require pretreated metal. The product is also used to repair cracked seams and other surface defects on aged TPO field membranes, to which heat welding is difficult.
- The product is designed to provide a clearly visible indicator of the roof edge, elevation changes and designated walk or no-walk areas. It may also find use in highlighting skylights or other potential rooftop hazards.
- Application Methods
- Clean entire surface where Cool Cover™ TPO Cover Tape will be applied.
- Apply Millennium Single-Ply Primer or Millennium Primer 240 to entire surface to be covered using the supplied scrub pad.
NOTE: Use caution when installlling at temperatures below 40°F (5°C) to prevent blushing of Single-Ply Primer (formation of condensation on surface of primer).
- Allow the primer to dry to the touch (no material transfer, typically less than 20 minutes). Dry time will vary depending on ambient temperature and humidity.
- Once the primer is dry immediately install Cool Cover™ TPO Cover Tape.
- Position Cover Tape over primed area and remove release liner at 45° angle while pressing down cover strip by hand.
- Roll the Cover Tape with a 2” (5.08cm) wide silicone roller.
- Seal edges of cover detail with patented Cool Cover™ TPO Edge Sealant.
All work surfaces should be clean, dry, and free of dirt, dust, debris, oils, un-adhered coatings, deteriorated membrane and other contaminants that may result in a surface that is not sound or is uneven. If necessary, clean the surface to receive cover with an approved TPO membrane cleaner.
- Not for use on PVC membranes.
- Do not use for detail flashing applications.
- Talc, dust, oil, ice, snow, or wet conditions inhibit good adhesion. Clean and dry surfaces are necessary for proper Installation of this product.
- Millennium Single-Ply Primer and Millennium Primer 240 Low VOC Single-Ply Primer are designed to dry with little or no tack. When dry, the primed area will feel completely “clean” to the touch. These primers are different than traditional EPDM primers that are designed to remain “tacky” to the touch in the dry state. Do not use pigmented EPDM primers on TPO Single Ply membranes.
- Cool Cover™ TPO Cover Tape is also slightly less tacky than traditional EPDM Flashing and Cover Tapes. After priming the TPO membrane, installing Cool Cover™ TPO Cover Tape, and rolling in the cover tape, allow 24 hours for the cover tape to wet-in and build strength before testing the detail’s adhesion. The properly installed Cool Cover™ TPO Cover Tape will achieve maximum strength 7 days after installation. However, the initial strength of the properly installed cover flashing will maintain the intended waterproofing integrity immediately after installation, and for years to come.
- Typical Properties
|Test Method / Conditions
|TPO Cover Thickness
|ASTM D 4419
|Peel Strength (at 21°C)
|ASTM D 413
|50 - 60
|ASTM D 816
|-51 - 21
|ASTM D 7426
|Service Temperature Range
|-40 - 200
|ASTM D 3359
|40 - 120
|ASTM D 603
Packaging & Availability
- Regional Availability
- Packaging and Coverage
Cool Cover™ TPO Cover Tape - Safety Yellow is available in the following sizes:
Width Length Part # Rolls/Case Safety Yellow 5.5 inch (140mm) 100 ft. (30m) ET-8910-5.5 2
Europe, CIS, and Middle East
Width Length Part # Rolls/Case Safety Yellow 140mm (5.5 inch) 30m (100 ft.) ET-8910-5.5EU 2
Storage & Handling
- Shelf Life
- 24 Months
- Storage Conditions
Store material in original unopened packaging at temperatures between 40°F-110°F (4°C - 43°C). Shelf life is 24 months when stored as recommended.